Thursday, July 16, 2009

paramiko vs scp

I had a task to benchmark a server by measuring how much time would it take to downloaded file via ftp. It was boring to script that up in shell since the server to be benchmarked didn't support key-based auth, so I'd had to pass password to ssh and I don't know a clean way to do it. Just for fun I decided to try doing it in Python using Paramiko module, which is a pure-python implementation of SSH protocol. I though it would be slower than native scp tool, but anyway I could use it to track the dynamics of performance changes.

Imagine my surprise when tests results showed that Paramiko performance is nearly equals to native 'scp' performance! I have to say it was a really pleasant surprise and makes Paramiko even more useful in my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment