Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Trip to US, part 1 - general impression

It's the 3rd week of my trip to US. It's my first time to US and actually it's the very first time when I've crossed the borders of motherland. I guess I will split my story in a few posts instead of making one lengthy post. In the first post I'll write up about general impressions.

The first impressive thing is that it's very clean here on the streets - almost no garbage and no dust and it's the thing I really like here.

The second thing about streets - they look all the same! I've stayed at Fremont and all the streets look same here - same houses, building of the same style and color, roads and tjunctions all look the same, so it's not very easy for me to navigate here.

I've been in other small cities in CA and it's the same for them too. Well, landscapes might be different for different cities, but in one city it's very easy to miss streets.

There's no explicit borders between cities. You walk on the street, walk over the road and you're already in a different city! It's unusual, because in Russia if you want to get from one city to other you'll have to spend at least 30 minutes riding on a car and you will see very large signs like "city X ends here", "city Y starts here".

People here like to ask you stuff like "how are you doing?" and so on, while they don't really care and I dunno why do they ask that stuff, in Russia people just don't care about you and don't ask such things. It looks like that in small cities like Fremont people prefer to stay at home after work because there's few people on the streets after 6-7pm, though maybe they just ride somewhere or something like that, I dunno. I've noticed the same in Palo Alto as well.

However, there are a lot of people in San Francisco, a lot of freaks here as well ;) and it's nice. In the centre of San Francisco I've seen a slowly riding old american car (dunno the model) on large chrome wheels and loud hip-hop sounds and serious looking persons inside of it. Looked impressive, just like in a movies =)

Subject for the next post is food.

No comments:

Post a Comment